The 2016 document on “Understanding The Role of Telcos in Driving the Online Video Innovations” by Safaricom – presented by Broadcast Media Africa – explores the significant role telecommunications companies play in advancing online video technology. It discusses the impact of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the change in the landscape for telecommunication companies as subscribers move from fixed-line to mobile platforms.
The document emphasises the need for content to be available everywhere, the changing viewing landscape beyond the living room, and the demand for unique content driving innovation beyond traditional studios. It also highlights the influence of binge-watching on innovation in measurement and personalization of content.
Some key points from the resource include:
● The arrival of IoT marks a significant shift in the economy.
● Shift from fixed-line voice subscriptions to mobile platforms.
● Growing demand for content accessibility across various platforms.
● Expansion of the viewing landscape to include social dynamics.
● Innovation is driven by the need for distinctive content.
● Binge-watching drives changes in content measurement and personalisation.
● The evolution of viewer relationships with different platforms and content services.