The document from 2015 on “Assessing the OTT VOD Landscape in Africa” by Africa TMT and – presented by Broadcast Media Africa (BMA) – explores the growth and challenges of Over-The-Top (OTT) and Video-On-Demand (VOD) services in the African market. It discusses the increasing use of OTT services, including video, and the rise of smart devices facilitating this growth. The paper analyses factors such as connectivity, OTT platform proliferation, and user adoption. Challenges like high connectivity costs, the need to protect traditional TV customers, and monetizing content are highlighted.
The document also considers the role of content owners, broadcasters, and network providers in the evolving OTT landscape, emphasising the dynamic nature of this sector in Africa.
Some key points from the resource include:
● Explores the growth of Over-The-Top (OTT) and Video-On-Demand (VOD) services in Africa.
● Highlights the increasing adoption of OTT services, including video streaming.
● Discusses the rise of smart devices as a key facilitator for OTT service growth.
● Analyses challenges like high connectivity costs and the need to protect traditional TV revenue streams.
● Considers the roles and impact of content owners, broadcasters, and network providers in the OTT market.
● Examines the monetization strategies for OTT and VOD content